I’ve just found out about a great Readers’ Day taking place in Stratford-on-Avon on Saturday 12th May (10am – 3pm) and sponsored by Warwickshire Library Services.
It only costs £5 – including buffet lunch and refreshments – and if you buy 4 tickets, you get one free!
It’s going to feature lots of writers, talking about books (Helen Cross, Gaynor Arnold, Jonathan Davidson, Mez Packer, Adam Horovitz, Jo Verity* and Alison Dunne, The Book Doctor), along with panel discussions, individual readings and a choice of afternoon workshop sessions – and you can even take a book to swap!
* Although I’d not heard of Jo Verity before, I rather like the sound of her. “Jo Verity began writing in 1999 at the age of 54 to ‘see if she could’ and in 2003 won the Richard & Judy Short Story Competition, beating 17,000 other entrants. Her first novel was published 2005. Bells, her second novel, was awarded a commissioning grant by the Welsh Books Council”.
If you’re interested in this event (and if you live anywhere around the Midlands, what’s NOT to like?!), here are some more details, to help you make your mind up:
Venue: Stratford on Avon School, Stratford-on-Avon, Alcester Road, CV37 9DH
Price: £5 (including refreshments)
Refreshments available from: 9.30 (ah, that’ll be for the early birds, then! I’ll be the one dashing in with one minute to go….)
10.00 Welcome and Keynote address: Ayub Khan, Head of Libraries for Warwickshire County Council: ‘The importance of reading and libraries’
10.10 – Jonathan Davidson – ‘My Life in books’
10.30 – 11.20 ‘Our Reading Lives: Desert Island Books’ (And those we leave behind) : Helen Cross, Gaynor Arnold, Adam Horovitz chaired by Roz Goddard
Break 11.20 – 11.40 – Write on the Book Wall, take the opportunity to swap a book and refreshment
11.45 – 12.15 Reading – Mez Packer
12.15 – 1.00 – Buffet lunch provided
1.00 – 1.45 Afternoon session: choose from:
- Bibliotherapy session with the Book Doctor (Alison Dunne)
- Helen Cross – The art of the short story
- Adam Horovitz – How Poets work
- Jo Verity – Writing a novel: Process and pitfalls
2.15 -3.00 Reading – Jo Verity reading and book signing
How to book:
Cheques should be made payable to: Warwickshire County Council and sent to: Warwickshire Library and Information Service, Barrack Street, Warwick, CV34 4TH
I’ll have moved house by then (all being well!!) and I’ll only be down the road from Stratford. So, see you there?!