What is ‘Flash Fiction’? Well, it’s short and snappy fiction, for a start. Read more about it here.
I promised you I’d run a little Flash Fiction competition and as I’m a fan of ‘random word’ exercises, I’ve picked 4 words completely at random from the dictionary, to be included in your entries.
I’d like you to write a story – maximum 250 words (not including the title) – which must include the words: knit, blunder, perform and tingle. (‘Knit’ was almost ‘Knicker’! Be grateful…!)
You can use the words anywhere in the story (including the title), or in any way – as long as it makes sense and is ‘proper English’! (gerrit?!)
In the interests of creativity, I will allow you to ‘add’ to the ends of the words (eg: ‘ing’, ‘ed’, ‘s’, ‘er). Anything goes, as long as those words appear in that form, as above, somewhere in the story, so that if I ran a ‘search’ for each of them, they would come up. Eg: Blundering is OK but tingling isn’t – because the ‘e’ drops off. (Hmm, hope I’m not making this too complicated! Leave a comment if you have any questions).
1. Send your entry in the body of the email (not as an attachment), to: email@example.com – please add your name too.
2. It’s FREE to enter but entry is restricted to UK residents. (sorry but it’s a heavy book!)
3. You can enter as many times as you like.
4. Your entry must be your own original work and must not plagiarize. (of course!)
5. Copyright remains with each writer. (of course-r!!!)
6. Maximum 250 words (so you can submit less).
7. Your story’s title is in addition to the 250 words
8. Your story must not have won or been placed in another competition.
9. Deadline for entries is midnight on 9th May 2012.
The result will be announced on 16th May, which is National Flash Fiction Day. In addition to the winning entry, the other 4 shortlisted entries will be posted on this site.
The winner will receive a copy of Linda Lewis’ brand new book ‘The Writer’s Treasury of Ideas’ and an e-book (a pdf file, which will be emailed to you), of Linda’s ‘Mini Guide To Short Story Competitions’.
Linda’s book is actually being ‘launched’ tomorrow (Sat 21st April)!
I’m a bit late with my ‘plug’ (sorry Linda) BUT if you happen to be in or around Leeds in the morning, I’m sure she’d be very happy to see you at Philip Howard Books, 47 Street Lane, Leeds, LS8 1AP at 11am!