2. I had a story called ‘Lookalike’ published in The Weekly News. Shh, don’t tell anyone but I originally wrote this story in 2009 and it’s taken this long to get it published. Moral of the story: never give up!
3. I bought The People’s Friend to continue my ‘market study’ – particularly of Wendy Clarke’s serial – as I’m intending to enter The People’s Friend serial writing competition next month. This now means though that I have about 4 issues of the magazine to read…eek!
4. I sent a new ghost-crime story to Take A Break, which was my 38th story since 1st January. That means I’m just about on target to reach my goal of 52 stories submitted by the end of the year.
5. I tweeted about the Curtis Brown Creative bursary: they’re offering this 3 month novel writing course, worth £1800, to a writer who’s in ‘financial hardship’ (surely that’s all writers?!). More details on how to apply here.
6. I tweeted about the Guardian Masterclasses’ free competition – you might want to have a go over the weekend, perhaps? It closes on Monday 28th September. Prize = a £450 writing course of your choice.
7. I listened to Hilary Mantel’s The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher on BBC I-player. It’s one of the 5 stories shortlisted in the BBC’s National Short Story Award (interestingly, a story that Mantel says took her ’30 years to write’).
It takes about 20 minutes to listen to (and I think it’s actually abridged) but you can always do something else while you’re listening! (I made my lunch and ate it, so I missed bits as the microwave pinged. Oh, and I burnt the toast! But otherwise, it was a really good idea).
8. I ordered some postcards to promote my e-book of short stories (and ahem, *blushes*, myself) BUT had to cancel the order because I’d done it wrong (DOH!). The company was very good and immediately refunded me. I will be trying again very soon….
9.I tweeted about the giveaway on my writing buddy Sally’s blog. There’s a year’s subscription to Writers’ Forum up for grabs so why not pop over and have a look (closes at midnight on Tues 29th September).
10. I’ve been in touch with a fellow tutor and writing friend about the possibility of taking one or two sessions of her class for her over the autumn, as for various reasons, she’s not able to do it herself. If that comes off, it’ll be fun. I’ll keep you posted!
Hmm, now that I look back, I’ve actually done a fair bit and there are lots of other bits and pieces that I haven’t told you about. What about you? How was your writing week?